Age Cymru and Bannau Brycheiniog National Park Authority are teaming up to run a fun event to introduce people to Nordic walking. It takes place at the National Park Visitor Centre near Libanus in Powys on 17 July.
Age Cymru’s Nordic Walking co-ordinator, Glenn Little says: “Nordic walking involves walking with a ski-type pole in each hand and it has a number of benefits above that of normal walking. Through Nordic walking you exercise 90 per cent of your muscles and you also burn 20 per cent more calories than ordinary walking at the same speed.
“Nordic walking is also less tiring than normal walking, and it can increase your heart rate by up to 13 per cent so that you get more benefit through less effort. It’s easy to see why Nordic walking is one of Europe’s fastest growing forms of exercise and is great for all ages whilst being particularly suitable for people aged 50 and over.”
The day starts with Nordic walking lessons in the morning. Walkers will have the chance take part in one of a number of Nordic walks on offer after lunch.
There will be a short walk for beginners; an intermediary walk on small inclines; and a longer walk for those people who want to go a bit further.
Trish Doree, Interpretation Officer for Bannau Brycheiniog National Park Authority says: “We are delighted to support Age Cymru for the second year running and we hope to encourage as many people as possible to take up Nordic walking.
“Nordic walking is fun and a great way for people of all ages to get out and about and enjoy the Bannau Brycheiniog National Park and learn about its special qualities. So come along on 17 July to take part in our Nordic walking session – you’ll have a lot of fun, make new friends and get to spend the day in the breathtaking beauty of the Bannau Brycheiniog National Park.”
The Age Cymru Nordic Walking Programme is supported by Western Power Distribution.
For all media requests, please contact Iwan Rhys Roberts – Communications Officer, Age Cymru, 029 2043 1562, 07739 7894 923, firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTES FOR EDITORS
• Booking is essential for this event;
• To book a place, please call 01591 620689 or visit www.visitbreconbeacons.com;
• The cost is £3 per person or £5 for 2 people;
• The walkers will meet at the National Park Visitor Centre, where car parking charges apply;
• The event takes place between 9.45 am and 3.30 pm.
• The walk will be led by Age Cymru’s International Nordic Walking Federation Instructors;
• There will be another Nordic Walking event on 14 August;
• These events are organised in partnership Age Cymru and the Bannau Brycheiniog National Park Authority;